Individual project 1
Write an executive summary of a recent (within the past 2 years) article from the CTU online library related to health care policy processes that is centered on improving health care quality and outcomes. Your summary must include the following:
- Describe the health policy development process and the roles that various stakeholders have in that process associated with the article.
- Include a brief description of the key health policy issues, and evaluate the potential of these issues to transform health care delivery in the United States.
- Assess how this health care policy will impact the structure of the health care industry and the distribution of resources and services.
- It should be 3-4 pages, in APA format, and with 4 quality references, 2 of which are from peer-reviewed sources and published within the last 5 years.
Individual project 2
Many people throughout the United States face significant barriers to health care access. As policy makers and other stakeholders consider ways to address challenges related to access to care, one key area of focus involves those who lack insurance or have inadequate coverage through insurance. Submit a PowerPoint presentation of 8-10 slides including 100-200 word speaker notes in which you address the following:
- Consider the different stakeholders and perspectives impacted by health policy. How does access to insurance differ from access to care? Provide 1 specific example from your personal or professional life or from current events to support your response, and explain why this distinction is important.
- How did the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) of 2010 address access to insurance? How does current enacted legislation impact access to care? What do you see as the ultimate goal of expanding insurance coverage?
- If access to insurance coverage and medical care are increased through health care reform, what unanticipated consequences might arise? List the consequences associated with health stakeholders and perspectives.
Note: Your presentation must be formatted in APA style with 4 quality references, 2 of which are peer-reviewed sources from health care journals. References should be placed on the Reference slide at the end of the presentation
Individual project 3
The United States created Medicaid—a publicly funded health care program—to assist people in obtaining health care services. Write a paper of 3-4 pages that explores Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) and that addresses the following:
- What legislation introduced Medicaid, and what are the funding sources for the program?
- What are some of the changes, including CHIP, that have occurred to the Medicaid program since its inception?
- What are the demographics of the majority of people covered by Medicaid, and how many people in the United States are covered by Medicaid?
- Evaluate the changes that have occurred to Medicaid with the inception of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. What are the current changes in Medicaid based on current legislation?
- Assess social and cultural changes and their impact on developing new health policies to make Medicaid and CHIP more effective.
Note: Your paper should be formatted in APA style, and it should include 4 references, 2 of which are peer-reviewed sources from health care journals and published within the last 5 years.
Individual project 4
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) requires that U.S. citizens and legal residents obtain qualifying health coverage. Write a report of 4-5 pages that explores the individual mandate section of this health reform law and how current legislation impacts this. Complete the following:
- Explain the individual mandate included in the PPACA including the tax penalties imposed if a person or family had not obtained qualifying health coverage.
- How has mandated health insurance coverage under PPACA worked? What impacted its success? If you were required to make one policy change or enhancement to ensure success of an individual mandate such as included in the PPACA, what would you recommend?
- Assess the historical relationship between the cost of health care and outcomes in the United States with the cost of health care and outcomes in another country. What policies could be considered to assist in changing the relationship between costs and outcomes to a more efficient relationship in the United States, if at all?
Note: Your report should use APA formatting, and you must include 4 references, 2 of which are peer-reviewed sources from health care journals and published within the last 5 years.
Individual project 5
In this final project, imagine you are the chief executive officer (CEO) of your health organization, and you are asked by your organization’s board of directors to prepare a policy proposal to be submitted to your local area Congressperson.
In this policy proposal you are defending, challenging, or both the policy mandate. You need to use the information that you have learned over the past weeks about health care management in the U.S. to address the following:
- From your research over the course of the last few weeks, assess what impact do you think the changes to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) and/or current legislation will have on the uninsured population in your local community or region?
- Evaluate and prioritize the importance of the provisions studied in previous weeks (e.g., Medicare, Medicaid, and the individual mandate) from the most important to the least important. State the reasons you ranked the provisions in the order you presented.
- Analyze the potential success or failure of this Act and changes based on your organization and your local health care needs. Justify your opinion.
- Discuss future implications of this Act’s success or failure.
- Recommend policy updates, changes, revisions, and so forth to the PPACA and/or current legislation that will address the opportunities and challenges that your organization and local community may deal with.
Note: Your policy proposal should be 5-6 pages, not including title page and reference page, formatted in the APA style, and it should include 8 quality references, 4 of which are from peer-reviewed health care journals and published within the last 5 years.